CBD is vastly becoming very popular in the health and wellness world.
CBD is becoming very popular all around the world. The CBD oil market is one of the fastest growing industries at the moment and there is no sign of it slowing down. CBD is being used for it’s natural therapeutic benefits, for many health problems and ailments, and for overall health and well-being.
CBD may offer non-toxic natural relief that’s practically side effect free. Here are 10 facts about CBD to help you understand what CBD is and how it works naturally with the body. As well as what to look for when buying CBD products to ensure you are buying a genuine quality product.
1. Cannabidoil or CBD as it’s known is one of many active chemical compounds found in cannabis plants: Marijuana and Hemp. Scientists have identified over 400 compounds, over 60 are cannabidoids, how many exactly is unknown. CBD is one of those compounds, many of the compounds are present in small amounts which makes it difficult for scientists to accurately identify all of them.
CBD and THC are the most prominent cannabidoids found in cannabis and have had the most research put into them. The variety of compounds cannabis produces is not detected in any other plant. Scientists have only just begun to uncover the many possible therapeutic benefits CBD may have to offer for numerous health problems and ailments.
The Endocannabinoid System
2. The body naturally produces cannabinoids in a specialized system called the endocannabinoid system. Which is a complex signaling network of receptors that regulates a variety of bodily functions like, pain, sleep, mood, appetite, inflammation, digestion, fighting infection, metabolism, relaxation to name a few.
Scientists researching cannabis have discovered it’s a collection of cell receptors and corresponding molecules that fit perfectly with our endocannabinoid system that helps regulate bodily functions. These receptors are found everywhere in the body especially in the brain, central nervous system, immune system and peripheral nervous system.
This is why if the endocannabinoid system isn’t working correctly it can contribute to a wide variety of health conditions. This is why taking CBD may help with many differant aspects of our overall health and well-being. Taking CBD may interact with these existing cannabinoids and increase their effect, which could relive or aid some health problems and ailments. Some scientific studies are now confirming this.
What is the difference between Marijuana and Hemp
3. Both Marijuana and Hemp are the 2 types of cannabis plant. Marijuana is cannabis indica, Hemp is cannabis sativa. The major difference is the THC levels. Marijuana holds high levels of the psychoactive compound called tetrahydrocannabinol or THC as it’s known. It holds up to 30% THC this is the compound that gets you high and is mainly used for recreational purposes and is used in medical marijuana.
Hemp on the other hand has virtually no THC level it’s below 0.3% and has no psychoactive effects. Hemp is mainly used in CBD products for its therapeutic and calming benefits.
How hemp CBD is extracted
4. Genuine CBD oil is made from high quality strains of hemp. CBD can be extracted from the hemp plant using its stalks, flowers and leaves. The hemp is grown to maturity, harvested, air-dryed and milled into a fine powder with a texture like coffee grounds. The next stage is extracting the cannabinoids and plant nutrients from the processed powder. This process can be done in several differant methods:
Solvent extraction can be done using alcohol, butane or hydrocarbons. This method is cheap and very little specialized equipment is needed, it’s also the harsher method of extraction and has the risk of leaving a toxic residue and heavy metals.
Supercritial CO2 extraction is done using cutting edge industrial equipment. This method is very safe for human consumption and is known as the gold standard method which delivers very high quality yields of cannabinoids. This extraction process can remove nearly all traces of THC.
Cold press extraction uses no chemicals or solvents. Cold press extraction is the best and the most natural, using nothing but raw quality hemp and a press similar to an orange juice press. This method by far produces the most natural and safe extract nothing added or taken away, leaving the best quality extract with very high yields of cannabinoids to produce the best natural quality products.
Olive or coconut oil extraction is the oldest method and is a natural process that can be done at home. But CBD oil made this way is more diluted and less potent than the more sophisticated methods like supercritial CO2 extraction and cold press.
When the hemp has been through the extraction process the extract of cannabinoids and plant nutrients that remain is a very gloppy paste like texture, Which is then diluted using a carrier oil to make it easier to consume. This is done using either coconut oil, olive oil, MCT oil or hemp seed oil. These carrier oils also bring their own benefits, coconut oil and MCT oil can provide a boost of energy and delivers the cannabinoids to the bloodstream quicker. Hemp seed oil and olive oil offers a blend of beneficial fatty acids plus olive oil has a great taste.
What’s the difference between isolate, broad spectrum and full spectrum CBD
5. Before buying CBD its important to understand the difference between CBD isolate, broad spectrum and full spectrum.
Full spectrum CBD is made with extract containing all the compounds found in cannabis. Broad spectrum CBD is just the same as full spectrum it contains the entire spectrum of cannabinoids except THC. Whereas, isolate only contains the compound CBD.
While CBD has several benefits, it works much better together with the many other compounds found in cannabis plants, such as CBDA, CBN, CBG, CBGA, THCA, to name a few. This concept is known as the entourage effect. This is why full spectrum CBD is more effective and the reason CBD is becoming very popular.
Legality of hemp CBD
6. Natural CBD oil from hemp is legal in the U. S, UK and some European countries. The laws in Europe vary depending on the country you live. CBD is not legal in some countries, so be sure to check the laws for the country you are based.
This means that consumers are free to choose CBD from hemp as a natural supplement without being concerned of any legal repercussions as hemp has virtually no THC. While CBD extracted from marijuana is illegal in UK and some European countries in the U. S legalization is on a state by state basis.
Before buying CBD its recommended to only purchase CBD extracted from hemp so there are no legal complications. However, when buying full spectrum CBD which contains THC you must be aware of the legal requirements of the country you are based. In the U. S the legal requirement is 0.3%, in the UK its 0.2%, in Europe its between 0.2% and 0.3% depending on the country.
If you choose to vape or smoke CBD be aware the legality of these products depends on if combustion occurs. It’s recommended to check the laws for the country you are based.
Third party testing
7. At the moment CBD products sold over the counter are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). So When purchasing CBD products it is in the best interest of the consumer to look for a reputable company, that has quality products made by a company that provides proof of third-party testing and has a certificate of analysis (COA) to prove this.
The COA can be found by scanning the QR code on the product with your smartphone, or on the website you want to purchase from, if it’s not visable email the company and ask to see the COA before you purchase anything.
A reputable CBD product will come with a COA which means it’s been third-party tested by an independent laboratory that has no investment in the product, to guarantee you are buying a quality legitimate product.
CBD is sold as a food supplement
8. CBD is sold as a food supplement because of it’s high levels of vitamins E and B, it also has high levels of antioxidants. Many scientific studies are looking closely into the therapeutic properties of CBD. According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, research that suggests CBD oil may have therapeutic benefits for many health conditions. Millions of people are using CBD as a tool to help naturally alleviate, treat or aid many health conditions and aliments such as:
- Certain kinds of chronic pain
- Multiple Sclerosis (M.S)
- Certain kinds of cancer
- Skin irritations
- Certain kinds of heart and Circulatory problems
- Neuroprotective properties
- Aid Sleep
- Lower blood pressure
- PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder)
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)
- Period pains and cramps
- Sports aid
CBD could also help the body maintain good health and well-being, encouraging the endocannabinoid system to function correctly. CBD is virtually side effect free, which makes it even more appealing to try as a health aid. The recommended dose when first starting CBD oil is from 5-10mg, start low then gradually increase it to as high as 100mg per day if needed.
CBD can be taken in many forms
9. There are lots of CBD products out there to choose from. CBD can be taken in many ways ranging from vaping or smoking cigarettes, to placing oil or tinctures under the tongue. It is also available in capsule form lozenges or edible products such as brownies, truffles, gummies, tea, coffee, smoothies, mints or sprays. It’s also available in the form of topical creams, lotion, salves, gels, balms, patches, bath bombs and pillow mists. CBD is also available for pets to use in oil, tinctures, sprays, treats, chews and biscuits in differant favorite flavors.
Probably the most recommended forms are the traditional oil, tinctures, topical or capsules. Which ever form you choose its important to make sure you buy from a trustworthy band that has good quality control and are third-party tested.
Clarify the reason you want to take CBD, this may help you choose which form to try. Some people who suffer from anxiety often like to try vapes, vapes kick in fast but for a short period of time. Whereas others may prefer oils or tinctures which take longer to work but lasts much longer.
Pets can use CBD
10. It is safe to give your pet CBD meant for human consumption. But it’s recommended you use smaller doses than what’s recommended on the label. Always consult your vet before giving your pet CBD, especially if they have any underlying health problems.
All animals have an endocannabinoid system just like humans. Animals may process CBD in a differant way to humans (this is still being researched). Animals have all the fundamental mechanisms to receive all the benefits of CBD just like humans.
Genuine CBD products could potentially help treat several health conditions, ailments and help improve our overall health and well-being.
There is a wide range of CBD products to choose from, be sure to do as much research as possible before buying CBD, to ensure your buying the right product for you.
There are also plenty of companies out there to choose from, it’s recommended choosing a reputable company, one that sells quality products that have been third-party tested.
Before buying full spectrum make sure the product has the required legal amounts of THC.
All information on this website has come from research only.
Here is the list of websites used for research.